Microsoft Azure users can connect their Azure Synapse Analytics Data Warehouse (formerly Azure SQL Data Warehouse) to Panoply. This article explains how to set up the connection from Azure to Panoply.
Before you start:
- You need an Azure Synapse Analytics data warehouse,
- Ensure you have admin credentials to your Azure Synapse Analytics data warehouse.
- Locate and install the Panoply app in the Azure marketplace.
1. Collect Connection Details
You’ll need these details to complete the remaining steps:
- server name - Sometimes called “fully qualified server name”
- database name - The name of your Azure Synapse Analytics Data Warehouse
2. Whitelist Panoply IP Addresses in Azure
For Panoply to access to your data warehouse, you must update your Azure Synapse Analytics warehouse to allow Panoply’s whitelist IP addresses. See Microsoft’s instructions to create a server-level firewall rule.
3. Enable permissions in Azure
Now we’ll grant a user the right permissions to create the “Panoply” schema and to write into the data warehouse. You can provide your own SQL user credentials or create a new user in your Azure Synapse Analytics data warehouse.
To enable proper permissions in your Azure Synapse Analytics data warehouse, execute the following SQL statements. Replace
<user> with whichever user name you decide to use.
GRANT CREATE SCHEMA TO <user>; GRANT CREATE TABLE TO <user>; GRANT ALTER TO <user>; GRANT INSERT TO <user>; GRANT ADMINISTER DATABASE BULK OPERATIONS TO <user>;
4. Complete the Connection Process
To complete the connection between Panoply and your Azure Synapse Analytics data warehouse:
- From the Panoply login page, enter your first name and work email address, and click Continue.
- Enter your server name, port number (1433), and database name. Then click Continue.
- Enter the SQL user credentials associated with the
<user>from the SQL statements, and click Validate.
- When validation is complete, click Continue.
- Click Allow Panoply to Create Schema.
Supported data sources
Our list of supported data sources for Azure Synapse Analytics is always growing. At present, our integrated data source options include:
- Google Analytics
- Facebook Ads
- Facebook pages
- Bing Ads
- Google Sheets
- Microsoft SQL Server
- File upload
- Amazon Redshift
- Amazon S3
- Google Adwords