Zeek relies on a team of highly sophisticated analysts to provide insights to top management. Zeek needed access to gather data from data sources and access them in a simple & relational manner that allows any standard visualization technology to integrate with.
Zeek was founded in 2013 with the mission to help rescuing $100B of store credit lost every year by providing a safe, easy to use and cost effective service. Essentially Zeek is a mobile app and web-based platform that allows users to sell their unwanted vouchers for cash and buy gift cards to leading UK brands at a discount. In their four years of operation Zeek has rescued hundreds of thousands of pounds for users that would otherwise have been wasted, raising funds from investors such Co-Founder of Waze Uri Levine, Blumberg Capital, Qualcomm Ventures and Scale up Ventures.
In just 6 months since Zeek’s launch, their app was used by over 100,000 users saving them more than $5M GBP. Zeek raised it’s series B round just 1 year after closing it’s series A round securing its exponential growth to become the most prominent service for gift card buying and selling in the UK. Zeek built a rapidly growing market for an immediate need, and are set to expand internationally.
Utilizing countless different sources of data to build a holistic view of the company’s ecosystem and understanding the underlying forces that drive the revenue stream, Zeek relies on a team of highly sophisticated analysts to provide insights to top management. Zeek needed access to gather data from data sources and access them in a simple & relational manner that allows any standard visualization technology to integrate with.
Zeek has tried out numerous different out of the box visualization solutions to connect directly to their data sources, but as the company began its exponential growth the need for a single source of truth for their scientists and analysts became apparent. The company soon began visualizing its analytics with Periscope Data, but work around construction of analytics infrastructure was a long and cumbersome task. When Zeek moved to Panoply, they were provided with a Panoply Powered AWS stack and immediately transferred all of their data source management and infrastructure maintenance to Panoply.
Using Panoply.io Zeek was able to save at least 6 months of man hours in analytical infrastructure development and countless more in ongoing optimization
Zeek uses Panoply to collect and connect various data sources from Mixpanel to Couchbase to Mailchimp and Zendesk and string them up together with a push of a button. Panoply’s self-optimizing warehouse enables the analytics team and data scientists to actively seek value as schema and query self-evolve towards different data use cases and ever-changing analytical use cases. “The move of most of our data sources was pretty immediate” says Ziv Isaiah, Zeek’s Co- Founder and CTO. “Panoply’s data architects were very helpful in arranging this out of the box custom solution. This is a general approach that I like, the ability to outsource my data warehousing problems to a professional company and just sit back and receive the benefits.”
Features powered by Panoply also include:
• Automatic Data Modeling allows Zeek to send arbitrary data in any standard format, without the overhead of maintaining schemas and altering data types. Panoply’s platform collects that data, parses it, and determines the best data model to use. This supports a continuous development cycle, where code and data changes are push to production on a daily basis, without requiring any reconfigurations.
• The Schema Optimization process optimizes Zeek’s schemas based on query patterns. Panoply’s platform continuously examines the queries that are executed on the data warehouse, and generates a statistical analysis that maps the importance and performance of each column. Panoply modifies the configuration of the schema: from data types, to compression, sorting & distribution. This makes Panoply a self- evolving warehouse and shaping itself to best fit the needs of the analyst.
• Materialized Transformations is Panoply’s alternative to the aging ETL paradigm. Panoply is an ETL-less platform, which behaves as both a data warehouse & a data lake. Data is cleaned and enhanced, but is otherwise left intact, allowing analysts to query the raw data the way they see fit. Transformations are still required in order to create meaningful domain-specific aggregated datasets. Panoply’s SQL-based Transformations enabled analysts to design their own logic, in real-time.
• Data Archiving is an important feature for many organizations. This is usually done after generating the aforementioned transformations & aggregations, thus keeping the insights from the data available without having to pay for raw-data storage. But it’s really not just about cost, reducing the data-size with Archiving also provides a huge performance improvements for your daily queries.
• Users & Permissions has traditionally been a huge headache for teams that care about the privacy and security of their data, usually requiring complicated processes & configurations to manage the access & permissions of the different users within the organization. Panoply’s fully-encrypted data warehouse makes managing users access as easy as sending out invites to colleagues.
Panoply was recommended to Zeek from a company they trust. Their scientists advise others working with Panoply to use Panoply’s Data Architects to help optimize views and data structures. “Don’t to be shy, if some query or job is running slower than expected, their support is superfast and effective”
Using Panoply.io Zeek was able to save at least 6 months of man hours in analytical infrastructure development and countless more in ongoing optimization. However, most important to Zeek is the opportunity cost. “With Panoply.io” says Ziv “my data warehousing problems are outsourced to a professional company, without the need to gain this knowledge in house which allows me to focus on my business.”